Chapter 2
1Thess 2:17
But we, brethren, being taken from you for a short time in presence, not in heart, endeavoured the more abundantly to see your face with great desire.
I will not dwell on much here other than Paul’s words of affection are consistent with what he has already stated in this chapter, as well as chapter 1.Paul cared for, was concerned for, loved, longed for these believers in Christ. And to think again, that this relationship developed over a short span of 15 to 26 days.
I will not dwell on much here other than Paul’s words of affection are consistent with what he has already stated in this chapter, as well as chapter 1.Paul cared for, was concerned for, loved, longed for these believers in Christ. And to think again, that this relationship developed over a short span of 15 to 26 days.
[ENDEAV'OR, an attempt; an exertion of physical strength, or the intellectual powers, towards the attainment of an object.]
1Thess 2:18
1Thess 2:18
Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.
The desire to continue fellowship is strong. One big problem…Satan. The devil. The accuser of the brethren. That old serpent. That guy.
“HIN'DERED”: Stopped; impeded; obstructed.
How did Satan hinder Paul? Well, the unbelieving Jews in each synagogue would persecute him, and threaten his life, and pursue him from town to town, and working up the unbelieving Gentiles; things like that…and then there was things like this long resume’ of “hindering” in 2 Corinthians:
2Cor 11:22-27
Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.
Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
Satan was able to mess up Paul’s plans to return to Thessalonica – and Paul was a probably the greatest Christian there was – think about that…If he can do that to him, then we need to be at the top of our game.
Paul says about Satan: “Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.”( 2Cor 2:11); therefore we should not be.
And also: “And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.” (2Cor 11:14); therefore it require due diligence – things are not always as they appear.
And also: “Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Eph 6:11-12)
1Thess 2:19
For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
Each chapter of First Thessalonians closes with some reference of Christ’s coming for the body of Christ, and again here he closes Chapter 2 out with this topic. This is our great comfort, as was theirs. The gathering together of the body of Christ in the clouds, in the heavenly places, is truly hope (confident expectation of what God said will be), and joy (the delight of the mind from the consideration of the present or assured approaching possession of good), crown (I think: completion; accomplishment) of rejoicing – at Christ’s coming! Amen!
Always consider those thoughts, don’t let them depart from thee.
1Thess 2:20
The desire to continue fellowship is strong. One big problem…Satan. The devil. The accuser of the brethren. That old serpent. That guy.
“HIN'DERED”: Stopped; impeded; obstructed.
How did Satan hinder Paul? Well, the unbelieving Jews in each synagogue would persecute him, and threaten his life, and pursue him from town to town, and working up the unbelieving Gentiles; things like that…and then there was things like this long resume’ of “hindering” in 2 Corinthians:
2Cor 11:22-27
Are they Hebrews? so am I. Are they Israelites? so am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so am I.
Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
Satan was able to mess up Paul’s plans to return to Thessalonica – and Paul was a probably the greatest Christian there was – think about that…If he can do that to him, then we need to be at the top of our game.
Paul says about Satan: “Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.”( 2Cor 2:11); therefore we should not be.
And also: “And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.” (2Cor 11:14); therefore it require due diligence – things are not always as they appear.
And also: “Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” (Eph 6:11-12)
1Thess 2:19
For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?
Each chapter of First Thessalonians closes with some reference of Christ’s coming for the body of Christ, and again here he closes Chapter 2 out with this topic. This is our great comfort, as was theirs. The gathering together of the body of Christ in the clouds, in the heavenly places, is truly hope (confident expectation of what God said will be), and joy (the delight of the mind from the consideration of the present or assured approaching possession of good), crown (I think: completion; accomplishment) of rejoicing – at Christ’s coming! Amen!
Always consider those thoughts, don’t let them depart from thee.
1Thess 2:20
For ye are our glory and joy.
Again, Paul’s love for them is self-evident, and the desire to see them with him, with the Lord, I believe gave great comfort for both.
Thus ends Chapter 2.
Grace and Peace James
For ye are our glory and joy
Again, Paul’s love for them is self-evident, and the desire to see them with him, with the Lord, I believe gave great comfort for both.
Thus ends Chapter 2.
Grace and Peace James
For ye are our glory and joy
No comments:
Post a Comment