Tuesday, September 24, 2024

1Thess 5:25-28 pray, kiss, charge, amen.

Gleanings in First Thessalonians
Chapter 5

1Thess 5:25-28
Brethren, pray for us.
Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.
I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.


(the home stretch.)
This is the closing of the book of First Thessalonians.
A call to the brothers and sisters to “pray for us” – meaning Paul and company, because they are out and about doing the work of the Lord in perils each and every day:
2Cor 11:23-28
Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.


This is not uncommon for Paul to request this:
2Thess 3:1
Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:

Eph 6:18-19
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,


Col 4:2-4
Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;
Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:
That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.


Prayer, don’t leave home without it nor shortchange your brethren of it, especially them that labour among you.

Greeting with the “holy kiss”. I did allude to this a couple of posts ago, it sounds odd for us today, because we think it might be gay (and we don’t want to be gay, in today’s sense of the usage). But it is not. It is just form of greeting, salutation (not lustful desire in an inordinate perverted way, etc.).
Some “kiss”-es in the Bible:
Gen 27:26
And his father Isaac said unto him, Come near now, and kiss me, my son.

(A father and son, a greeting and show of respect.)

2Sam 20:9
And Joab said to Amasa, Art thou in health, my brother? And Joab took Amasa by the beard with the right hand to kiss him.

(Joab and Amasa were both seasoned, manly military men, a couple of beast warriors, this isn’t no pride parade… this was a respectful salutation.)

Psa 2:12
Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

(This is in reference to respect to the Son of God, Jesus Christ, the Lord of lords… need I say more?)

Luke 7:45
Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.

(Christ talking with a Pharisee, salutation.)

Mat 26:48
Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.

Mark 14:44
And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely.

Luke 22:47-48
And while he yet spake, behold a multitude, and he that was called Judas, one of the twelve, went before them, and drew near unto Jesus to kiss him.
But Jesus said unto him, Judas, betrayest thou the Son of man with a kiss?

(A greeting.)

Now we have the “holy” kiss:
Rom 16:16
Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you.


1Cor 16:20
All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss.

2Cor 13:12
Greet one another with an holy kiss.

1Thess 5:26
Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss.


Again, it is the same thing, but now we are in a setting with the individuals greeting the other individuals who are both in the body of Christ, holy brethren; I believe it then becomes a “holy kiss” and “holy” greeting, a “holy” salutation.

In verse 27, Paul states: “I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.” Paul is giving command about what to do with this letter, and gives us a glimpse on how God is going to preserve scripture: he is going to have the holy brethren, copy it and send it out, using imperfect ink and parchment, and it will be copied and copied and copied, and sent out to other churches. This process will take place until the advent of modern printing, collation of manuscripts into edited copies, and bound in a book.
Also, it indicates that this epistle and the information therein was not solely for the Thessalonian church, as we can see, we have it today, we are gentiles, Paul was the apostle to the gentiles, etc.

And verse 28, “The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen

Are we saved? If yes, then we have that grace – and we can carry that same grace to others, “seasoned with salt” no doubt (Col 4:6).
Amen.

This concludes our First Thessalonians gleanings.

Grace and Peace James.
See I made it through the book. I think we shall go directly into Second Thessalonians next, unless I change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pre-Second Thessalonians

We are about to embark on Paul's second epistle to the Thessalonians, titled: Second Thessalonians . Technically, I had finished First T...