Chapter 1
Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.
Verse 4: a loaded verse. Some shoot themselves with it. Here we have the word “election”, which the Calvinist mindset will take hold to the idea that God “chose” some people to salvation and “chose” others to damnation. I reject that claim – I believe in volition (that people have a choice); I believe that God calls, and people in time react on that call – I reject that some are predestined to burn in hell just because God chose them to – I believe some will be damned because they chose to.
God has a plan, a plan that was made from before the world began – but he gives people a choice and that choice comes after the world began, in time.
Looking at the word “election” in the Bible, it is more than often linked with 'service', and never salvation (never choosing someone to be saved) - God choosing someone or people to “service” to be a “servant” and to “serve” God.
And remember what Paul was referring to in the previous verse -their “work of faith” and “labour of love” and “patience of hope” – they were doing service to God – God called, they acted on that call, and now are God’s servants.
On the flip side: Even in this same verse – Did God only choose the Thessalonians, or did not the Thessalonians as well choose God? You can read it both ways.
(see 1Thess 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God; …. They turned from their false gods and idols and false religion and “chose” the living and true God, there is an “election”).
Grace and Peace James
Enjoy your service.
Grace and Peace James
Enjoy your service.
No comments:
Post a Comment